Tuesday, July 24, 2012

So...what is a danilion?

This pretty darling you see is Ella Somers. She is one of the many children who influence my life and make my life happy and worth living. Especially when she sees me, screams my name, then gives her coy little smile and a hug. This is the daughter of my closest friend, Brandy Somers.

Brandy is the most selfless, loving, forgiving, creative, encouraging and positive person I know. I playfully refer to her at times as my "nanny". Though she is but a few years older than me, she has guided me through the most difficult times of my life. A lot of my days I thanked God for her presence and helping me see through my clouds, and invite the light in. Of everyone else in my life that has abandoned, betrayed, and hurt me and left me broken. She would show up and help me pick up my pieces.

Circa 2011
Circa 2010

Circa 2009

Circa 2008


I took the photo of Ella during a painting we were making for my son, Garrett while he was on a summer trip, for the first time to see his father. I was emotionally, a wreck. I had Garrett young and was an all consumed momma.


Circa 2007 
Photo courtesy of Brandy Somers Photography

I lived everyday for him. I put myself aside and put him first, then he was gone. Another story, for another day.



This photo was taken with a Canon camera, Brandy's Canon camera. That girl put that thing in my hands every chance she got and let me borrow it whenever she wasn't using it. That was radical to me! She trusted me with something of such value! But little did I know she must've seen something in me that  lit up when I took photos, or edited (which she and only she has taken hours and hours and hours to show me how) or gave them as gifts. I don't know what she saw in me, or even if she liked all of my photos. Regardless, she encouraged me without fail out of love and support. Hence the slow start to the photography business for me, baby steps, with encouragement. Now, how did you get that silly, playful, spirited name for your business that no one can pronounce Danielle? Well, I'll tell ya, it was Ella. Ella was about 2 or 3 years old when I met her and she couldn't pronounce Danielle so she pulled any name out of the sky she could say "Daaaannyull." Danny-yell". One day she pointed to the grass and said you're "Danilion". That was it! I started drawing my logo! As I was sitting and contemplating the name of this business, this venture...my thoughts were along the lines of "I would feel so vain naming it Danielle Campbell Photography" (my name rhymes and its all americana and such...bor-ing!) "What about DC Photography?" (too masculine and too serious, I'd need a stache for that). No, Danilion Photography it is!!






If I get married it won't change, I can have other photographers if I grow! Boo yah! Born! I was excited! I even purchased business cards and everything! Yayer. I created something from nothing with love and support. I felt awesome! Something to feed my creative spirit and keep a healthy hobby alive


Circa 2012


I am so grateful for Brandy and Ella and that whole little Somers family. Not to mention the friends that I have now, that love me unconditionally and support me regardless. I would not be where I am today without Brandy, and I wanted the world to know! There's a history for you, thanks for reading :) Peace to you friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment