Saturday, June 01, 2013

My first Relay for Life

 The following photos were taken at a Relay for Life event located in Woodstock, Virginia. I was invited to this even on behalf of a co-worker and close friend, Brenda. Brenda and I have both been touched by the disease cancer, as it has taken the lives of people we knew and still love. We've seen it creep in, and slowly try to destroy and diminish all hope. Well cancer NEVER wins control over our hope. Ever. This evening begun by all of the BB&T employees huddled under some large white tents by the kid's activity area . I was the delegated face painter. (I even had a customer waiting before I got there). :) I set up my paints, chatted a bit with co workers and took it all in. My first child wanted a  few arm tattoos and her face painted like a cheetah, not a leopard. There's a distinct difference, she tells me. Kid's these days are so smart and I revel in their cuteness! :) The evening wore on quickly and I don't think I stepped away from face painting once. Brenda estimates I painted about 50 children, all I know is that I had so much fun! I met so many people and shared many laughs with sweet, toothless kiddos. As the sun went down, we scrambled to clean up and I stopped for a moment to notice all the lights going along the track. Everything was illuminated and so, peaceful. I never once saw anyone lighting the candles in these bags, they must have done it while I was painting the kiddos faces. I quickly grabbed my camera from my bag and started practicing shooting in manual and low light. After 2 photos, I had to stop. I just stood there and my eyes flooded with tears. I have chills writing this, the look of all the bags, full of light, hope you could say. It represented all of  the people who have suffered and fought this disease. I thought of my grandmother who has battled breast cancer twice, and won. My Nana, my mother, my friends, Noah, so many countless people flooded my mind. It was an emotional and moving experience. I am so proud to be a part of BB&T and to have supported this cause. BB&T very generously donated $1,000.00 to this event on behalf of the New Market branch in New Market, Virginia. These photos are all unedited, so I apologize for any crooked shots, but I'm not planning on editing them. I wanted everyone to see how the evening went via these photographs and I want this to look back on. I hope you enjoy, and please consider making a donation to Relay for Life. God bless you guys, Danielle

















No comments:

Post a Comment